Bryans Nonsense

..people have problems; God has solutions.

Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Love my country, my family, my friends, and above all the Lord Jesus. I was raised in the Northest, and have also lived in California; Florida; and Texas; as an evangelist and pastor. I have traveled a lot, and have made a lot of friends, and been of some help to a few people, for which I am grateful.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Baptism in the Holy Spirit

There is some discussion on the blog-us-sphere around this experience. I have been a recepient of the infilling, with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. I will not address the issue on the intellectual level. That of agruing or answering questions. I will simply tell you of the results in my life to this point.

While in these discussions the role of the emotions has been one of question. I submitt that Jesus also displayed intense emotion. He weep, he lept for joy, he was deeply griefed, and so on. For myself when in communion with the Spirit, I also have experienced weeping, great joy, and the power of His might in the inner man. And many other ways. This is all according to the will of the Father, revealed in scripture, "he restoreth my soul". The emotions belong in the realm of the soul.

The greatest blessing of this is the deep awareness of the Lord in me, and the love that He brings to bear upon my heart. In times of prayer (praying in other tongues) the Spirit will move on and in me to directions of His choosing, and enlighten my mind to what He is doing. For the mind doesn't understand the language, but the Spirit gives knowledge to my spirit so I may understand. Not always then, nor every time I pray, but as I have need of encouragement or knowledge and direction.

This is an attempt to use an analogy: suppose you wanted to find something on the inter-net. But didn't know the address, you would submit it to a search engine. God is the same, praying in other tongues is God's search engine. To find the will of God and speak it forth into your life. Without this gift, you are greatly hindered in fulfilling God's will for your life, or to help those to whom you are sent. You will have to search it all out on your own. If you can find it!

Scripture bears this out, "you know not how to pray, nor what you ought. But the Spirit maketh intercessions on your behalf". For me the beauty is that by the Holy Spirit I am a partaker of the life that Christ gives. Also Paul said it is the giving of thanks, and I love to worship God. His presence affects every area of my being and life. It quickens, and give life to all my members. He takes the things of God and shows them to and in me. And I become a living epistle.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeannie said...

There are some things best explained from the heart rather than intellectually - people cannot argue with the heart.

6:55 AM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Brother Phil,
I am glad to have you as a brother, like me, a sinner saved by grace through Jesus our Lord. I also would that all God's people were prophets. To quote Moses.
Be Blessed with His presence.

Sister Jeannie,
You have a beautiful heart for God, may your days be full, "of God moments".

Be Blessed with His presence.
Pete

10:58 AM  
Blogger John Schroeder said...

Linked to this post here

11:39 AM  
Blogger John said...

Great post Pete! As it was said before it is a waste of time trying to convince the unconconvincable, enough to to know the blessing and use it as the word of God tells us... for personal edification and for the Church edification in a tongues message and interpreted!

GBYAY

3:55 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

John Schroeder,
Thank you brother for the link, and for taking up interest in a very vital issue for the body of Christ.
Be Blessed,
Brother John,
You never cease to amaze me, you are a diligent and faithful friend.
Be Blessed,
Pete

10:16 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Dear Brother,
When I first read your post, and the comments were at zero...I was going to comment then thought I would wait and see if your post generates controversy. Being a bible college student,I know first hand that so many people have different opinions on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Our teachers tried to avoid the subject if they were able. I am impressed Pete at the way you handled and expressed yourself. Always keep writing from that deep well inside you. Be blessed!

12:46 AM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Sister Karen,
I'm glad you came back, and thanks for the gracious comment. I suppose the testimony of Jesus will always cause controversy, until we are taken to be with the Lord. Differing opinions help me to more clearly define my believes.
Be Blessed,
Pete

10:31 AM  
Blogger Callmeteem said...

The gift of tongues is one of God's precious gifts. For that matter all His gifts are precious. To spurn it is to spurn something precious. Why would I want to do that.
In exercising this gift of grace I am strengthened and touched and moved.
Thank God for the power of the Spirit.

8:05 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Callmeteem,
How right you are, we should covet all and any gifts from God. He is perfect in His giving, we should yield to His ways.
Be Blessed,
Pete

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home