Bryans Nonsense

..people have problems; God has solutions.

Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Love my country, my family, my friends, and above all the Lord Jesus. I was raised in the Northest, and have also lived in California; Florida; and Texas; as an evangelist and pastor. I have traveled a lot, and have made a lot of friends, and been of some help to a few people, for which I am grateful.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

A Change of Mind

There are a lot of areas where we flat missed it. The problem with finding truth is being able to take what we think we know, and re-examine why we think it is so. A great thinker would then streach it and take it to the exstreme appling it to every possible situation. In other words; truth will always work, and error will always fail. We can use the truth, and it will always be true, for everyone regardless of the situation. This is the comfort of the scriptures. What God has done for the one, he will do for anyone. He is impartial, and freely gives to all men who come to Him. I will address this post to those who are believers in the work and resurrection of Jesus. Just for convience, not to exclude.

Let's look at "deliver us from evil". The mind set of the church is sad, most believe that God is able, but it's hit or miss on wheather or not he will. This is typical of a lot of issues, such as healing, and prosperity. The Lord is not a divine "dart board", or the luck of the draw, not seeing if you've been good, or trying. He works by and through and honors faith in His word, and in trust of His goodness and mercy. Everytime, without exception. And only by faith. Not need, not pleading, not according to your standing, your education, your degrees, or the urgency.

But "do you believe I am able" and do you believe "I will"? As Jesus said, "ACCORDING TO YOUR FAITH BE IT UNTO YOU". There is no other way. Believe the word of God, only. The blessings of the Lord don't just fall on our heads like ripe fruit from a tree. They are received by our faith in the word of God. Is salvation available? Then why isn't everyone saved, they don't believe the word. Is healing available? Then why isn't everyone healed, they don't believe the word. Is prosperity availabe? Then why isn't everyone prosperious, they don't believe the word.

How then do we recieve? There are a few steps. First, hear the word. Second, believe the word. Third, say the word (faith speaks). Fourth, act on the word (faith without works is dead). That's it. This is how we receive from God, from beginning to end, from the greatest to the least promise. It always works, without fail, without any other consideration, period. We can have all the blessings of God active in our life by the way of faith alone, and only by faith.

So then we see the promise of "deliver us from evil" has to be activated in our lifes by faith, just as salvation. Everyone has a horror story to tell me of why we can't have this victory over death (the evil one is trying to kill you!). Don't bother; I have my own story, of victory!

I would like to add my mother to the list of the heroes of faith. I was in the army infantry in Vietnam. I was a heathen. There were dozens of days when I knew that there was no possible way to come out alive. I've been surrounded by enemy armies for days and weeks. And yet I'm alive. A rumor started back home that I was dead. My friends at home went to my mother's and gave her their condolences. My mother is a faithful follower of the Lord. She had not heard from me, yet she told them that the news was false, that I was alive and well and not to be concerned. She then wrote me with their addresses and asked me to write them so they would know.

How could she know; the WORD OF GOD. She was standing on the promise of God. She had a firm faith that God would not fail her. That was enough. And that's enough for me, my God shall deliver me from every evil.

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeannie said...

Good word Bryan - no point in knowing the word if you are not going to live it out - and thank the Lord for praying mothers - where would we be today without them...

10:06 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Jeannie, really good to hear from you. Thank you, and Amen to the praying mothers.
Be Blessed,
Bryan

10:13 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

I'm wondering why you called your self Bryan when your name is Pete and then I look at what I wrote - doh!! thats what happens when you call your blog Bryans Nonsense - what is with your name anyways...Larf larf (really hard)

5:55 AM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Jeannie,
Bryan is a combination of my first and middle name. Pete is a nick-name from childhood. Either is fine. I probably should drop pete to avoid confusion on the site. Ok,
Be Blessed,
Bryan

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it really about our receiving? Receiving healing, prosperity etc?

What about those who are Christ followers - hearers and doers of the Word who are not healed or prosperous?

It seems like what you're saying is that it is dependent upon our 'degree of faith' as to what we receive from God. Maybe I'm misunderstanding. ????

I believe it is Scripturally sound to believe that God bestows blessings as He deems fit. What He does He does for His glory, His namesake and to further transform us into the image of Christ. He may choose to heal a person, or He may choose not to so that He can develop that person.

If I'm reading you wrong, I apologize. It just smelled, to me, like "it's all about us."

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought of something else.

If you had,in fact, been killed, would you (or your mother)considered that God's failing? Would your being killed have changed the goodness or rightousness of a sovereign God?

1:06 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Gayla,
Thanks for the questions and comment. I'll answer as I've learned.
Is it really about our receiving? Scripturally, yes. "Of his fulness we have recieved", not a loan, not measured out as he answers our prayers. In another place, "you are complete in Him". Not will be but ARE. And again, "who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." Notice, WHO HAS, we are already heirs. Heirs are receptients (receivers)of the will, the new covenant. The promises of God are our inheritance, they are activated by our faith.

What about those who aren't. Faith is born where the will of God is known. If anyone knows it's God's will to ____ (heal, prosper, save) them, then faith is born and the seed will grow to produce the evidence.

"Degree of Faith"; Jesus said "if you have faith as a mustard seed", in our words, it's the smallest amount, the least amount, "you would speak unto this mountain". This is what faith does, "it speaks", it states that which is desired. As with God so with his children, calling forth those things which are not as though they were.

God bestows blessings as he deems fit. God has bound himself to his word, any thing that is promised in the word is for you. He honor's his word above his own name. If it's in the word we honor God by believing his word. As for healing, Jesus carried away our diseases on the cross, just as our sin. So salvation and healing are both in the same work, but if you haven't been taught this let's ask I Peter 2:24, "He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed." HAVE BEEN, just as salvation is available, so is healing. In this we see God already desided to heal, not he'll deside on a case to case basis, or day to day. It's been done, once for all.

If I had been killed? All of God's dealings with man has been through his love for his creation, his love provided a way of excape for me, and I praise him for it, if I had died then I would have split hell wide open, then your question may have had some merit, as it is I will say God loves me to much to let any thing in the present or future separate me from His glorious presence.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to address me. :)

I agree with you to a certain extent. Certainly I agree that in Him through salvation, we become joint heirs with Christ; royal priests, adopted etc. I guess I disagree with the fact that our faith "activates God." That indicates there is still some sort of "work" to perform to get God to do something for us. Yes we are to keep the faith, but can we really muster up faith under our own power? I don't think so. It is still a sovereign God who enables us to even have faith.

"But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian." Luke 4:25-27

This is but one Scripture reference to show God's sovereignty and His intervention or His choice not to intervene. Out of many lepers, only one was cleansed; there were many widows and only one was sent help.

God is in the heavens. He does whatever He pleases. Psalm 115:3

For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." Romans 9:15

There are numerous verses (too many to mention here, but if you want references, let me know)to show that God does indeed act however He wishes to, to carry out His purposes.

I'm certainly not saying that God doesn't heal; He does. But I'm not sure that your explanation really answers the question. People die every day - faithful followers of Christ. People become ill and are, in fact, not healed - also faithful Christians. How do you explain that? I prefer to believe that God, who is sovereign over His creation, and who is loving and merciful, knows what He's doing. He has a plan for each and every life.

"He honors His word above His own name." That's an interesting statement. Yes, He honors His word; he cannot lie or behave sinfully. Above His own name, though. Hmmm. That's like asking the question, "can God make a rock big enough that He can't pick it up?" Kinda tricky. Again, the Bible is replete with verse after verse where God does many things "for His name sake." Even in the 23rd Psalm - He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. (verse 3) (anyone wanting other verses, let me know)

I'm not understanding your last paragraph at all. Almost sounds like you don't think you're ever going to die. Again, God's sovereignty over your life, and it obviously wasn't your time to go. I'm just saying that if you had died, God still wouldn't have failed in any way. It wouldn't have changed the fact that God is sovereign; He is good, loving, righteous and just.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, thought of one more thing.

What's your take on Hebrews 11?

The heroes who, by faith, received what we'd consider the "good" things, and then those heroes who, still walking by faith received mockings and scourgings, chains and imprisonments. Those who were stoned, sawn in two, tempted, put to death with the sword, were destitute, afflicted and ill-treated. ???

All heroes of faith, according to Heb 11.

5:59 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Gayla,
Your questions are examples of the limited vision we have of the Lords redemption. I trust you are sincere in wanting a farther look.

the fact that our faith "activates God"; Jesus couldn't work miracles in his home town, because they didn't believe in him. "Without faith it is impossible to please God." "..must believe that He is, and a rewarder of those who seek Him."

As for the "work"; "we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works." So yes, we are to work with God.

Muster up faith; Paul thought so, he told Timothy to "stir up the gift that is in you". We have the Spirit of the Lord IN US to take hold together with us in our lives.

Luke 4; this is the rejection of Jesus by the hometown; he used these as examples of unbelieve, not faith. It was an indictment of their refusing the grace of God.

God's sovereignty; surly you know I agree that God is the creator of all, and rules over all. He himself has given us his word, then told us, "it will not return to me void, but shall accomplish that for which I sent it". This is God's invitation to align ourselves to his word. And to receive the benifits.

christians who are ill; the Lord said, "my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge". If you know healing was in the atonement, then when sickness attacks, you can resist it with the shield of faith, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Honor's his word; God is not a man that he should lie. Has he said, and will he not do it. God's integrity can't be questioned, he will do it.

The heroes of faith; not all lost their life. There is also those who overcame death. And by trusting the Lord received promises.

Death is not the same as losing their life. Death is no terror for a believer, but the gaining Christ.

Gayla, I've taken general overviews of the issues. I like honest discussion of the grace of the Lord. I know that my position is not the norm, but scripturally I can show these things. We are all a work in progress. As we receive more revelation, we will see clearer, and I'm sure some views will change. But none of us as yet have perfect understanding. Lord enlighten our hearts, to see, to hear, and to know your truths.
Be blessed,
Pete

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home