Bryans Nonsense

..people have problems; God has solutions.

Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Love my country, my family, my friends, and above all the Lord Jesus. I was raised in the Northest, and have also lived in California; Florida; and Texas; as an evangelist and pastor. I have traveled a lot, and have made a lot of friends, and been of some help to a few people, for which I am grateful.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Yield

This is the requirement for growth. You can be in an oasis of the out-pouring of God's blessing and not get a thing. Or you can be filled with wonder and awe at the power and goodness of God. The difference is to yeild, to leave off your ability to understand with your mind. To enter into something you've never seen or experienced. Jesus was always doing something that the people couldn't understand, your mind is not your guide, it's your servant. Tell it to hold it's peace, and learn something. The Lord will not work according to your head.

Do you want to grow? I mean do you really want God? Are you willing to believe that He knows better than you. Then yield. There are a whole lot of God's people who don't believe that God still works wonders by the Spirit. That the gifts have been done away. I ask where is that in the word? It's not. These are babe's, they can not grow to maturity, they lack spiritual discernment. God loves them, but they have to be cared for, they can't perceive the greater works of God. Yes, they have intellectual knowledge, but little experience with the working of God.

Are you angry with me, is this my plan, or God's. Did God say he chooses the foolish to confound the wise? Will you be foolish enough to believe Him? I am. The first evidence of the indwelling spirit is "tongues". If you can't accept that then how will you accept the greater gifts? This gift will teach you not to rely on your mind. Your mind will not understand, and will fight you, saying, "this is foolish". Yes it is foolish to the mind, but the wisdom of God to speak his will into your life. Learn to yeild to this gift, and to make your mind submit to the word of God. And to exercise your spirit, and grow thereby. To strengthen your faith in God. And build your self up in the spirit. To who is this gift, to everyone who believes.

Let's get past this, ask the Lord to help you with this, and grow to maturity. The gift of prophesy, or the gift of tongues with interpetation, is vital to the work of the Lord. We are all aware of how the Lord works, He speaks, and it comes into being. He speaks and it stands fast. The word of the Lord is the enabling of what is spoken, and his way of working. By this gift we are co-laborers in the work of the kingdom. God has tied himself to man to do his work, he will not act independent of us the church. "The Lord God does nothing without first revealing His secret to His servants the prophets" Amos 3:7. The prophet is the voice, the word is the Lord's.

There is also gifts of healings, working of miracles, the gift of faith, the descerning of spirits, word of knowledge, and the word of wisdom. The Lord would have us to grow where we are comfortable with His gifts. And able to understand what He would have us doing. I know His ways are right, and powerful, enabling us to work in His kingdom. The Lord said, "not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, sayeth the Lord".

5 Comments:

Blogger rev-ed said...

Pete, I am fine with the supernatural gifts, but to say that tongues is the first evidence of the indwelling Spirit goes beyond what I read in Scripture. The Apostle Paul even points out that not all speak in tongues.

8:02 PM  
Blogger pete porter said...

Rev-ed,
I know you to be a sincere and compassionate man from your site. Yes, that is what Paul said. It was in the content of "In the church", as he was using the body of man as an alagory of the body of christ. In the church we all have our indiviual function. Paul also said, "I would like everyone of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The tongues builds up the person, the prophesy builds up the church. At any rate I am encouraging all to eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy, as did Paul. The gift of tongues with interpretation, is prophecy. If we pursue these we will do well. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.
Be Blessed,
Pete

10:55 PM  
Blogger rev-ed said...

I appreciate you encouraging the seeking of greater gifts, as prophecy (bringing forth the Word of God, not simply foretelling the future) is an important gift. But you've put me in an interesting situation as you seem to be saying that if I do not speak in tongues then I am not indwelt by the Holy Spirit. If that is the case, then how biblically can you prove such a thing? The 1 Cor. passage, allegory or not, clearly states otherwise as does chapter 14.

And thank you for the "gentleness and respect" factor in all of this. :)

6:36 AM  
Blogger pete porter said...

rev-ed,
I will be glad to share my view, I thought it best to post my response as I'm sure others have the same question. In Yield part 2.
Be Blessed,
Pete

11:57 AM  
Blogger IMO said...

Pete, I liked your comment at the beginning of this post, I'm going to use it and then link it to here, if you don't mind?

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home